Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Center for Puppetry Arts

Today, we went on a field trip to the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta. If you are ever in Atlanta, I would make plans to visit this place. They have shows, make a puppet workshops and a museum. We attended  Paul Bunyan & the Tall Tale Medicine Show. First, they took us  to the make a puppet workshop where we made a blue ox puppet out of cottage cheese containers.





After the kids finished making their puppet,  they were grouped together and practiced putting on their own puppet show.


While still in the room, I took a few pictures of the puppets made at previous workshops.




We had a great time making our puppet.......even me!


We grabbed a quick snack before heading off to the show. It was such a cute performance. They used many different types of puppets including shadow puppets to tell the stories of tall tales. I do not have anymore pictures because the workshop was the only place they would allow us to take them......something about a copyright.

When we finished touring the museum, we headed over to The Varsity to eat. This is the suppose to be the world's largest drive-in. It has been featured on the food network before. When I was younger, we used to stop and eat there on the way to my grandmothers. I remember it as this exciting place to eat......my how times have changed. The food is just not as good as I remembered it.

It was another great day of field trip fun. Guess what we are not done yet....we will go to the Botanical Gardens in Birmingham next week and for the summer we have plans to travel to Gatlingburg, Tn, New York City, NY and Hilton Head, SC. I LOVE FIELD TRIPS...... can you tell???

1 comment:

  1. Gee, you won't be home at all this summer. I'll miss you! We'll have to hang out a little bit, at least!

    I'm so jealous you are going to NYC!

    ReplyDelete