Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Atlanta Zoo

We went yesterday to the Atlanta Zoo with our homeschool group. We have never been before so my reviews are it is not huge but it is definitely one of the prettiest zoos I have been to. The weather was beautiful. The smell...... not so great at times.
We were having a great time until towards the end when we lost Ella. It still amazes me how one minute we were watching the otters and the next minute she was gone. We were moving on from the otters to the naked mole rats when I had to get Laney from playing in the bamboo trees. A friend was walking ahead and Ella was following her. There were trees dividing the walkway. It took just  a split second for me to walk a few steps one way and I guess Ella did not see me so she walks the other side of the path.I thought she was still following my friend  to the next exhibit.  I have to tell you by this time of the day there was hardly anyone there. A majority of the schools had left. Once I got Laney and walked around to the rats. I did not see Ella. I asked my friend if Ella was playing on the playground. She tells me she did not see Ella. I have not panicked yet because I  suspected she was on the playground. NOPE! I rush back to the otters... no Ella. By this time I am starting to worry. One of the zoo workers ask me if everything is okay. I proceed to tell him about Ella. He calls it in and so the hunt for a 4 year old girl begins. Within a matter of minutes we get the sigh of relief call. She had walked all the way back to the lion exhibit. When we got to her, she was not hysterical or even crying. I picked her up and poured on the kisses and hugs. Once she has room to breath, she tells me, "Mom I was looking all over for you." Ella had walked until she saw a child she recognized from the playground. The mother said, " Ella walked up to her little girl and said hey, I can't find my mother." Most kids would have been crying at this point. Not my strong willed independent Ella. Ella then tells me, " Mom, you need to get one of those bears that goes on your back that has a rope on it." We all start cracking up! Maybe instead of the bear I should go with Carmel's suggestion of a shock collar. JK!

On to the more enjoyable parts of our day....


Half way through our day we rode the train and then the carousel.
A little later we met up with Carmel.........


Just kidding!


and finally, the place where we called it a day.
.

We will have more exciting adventures to share later this week which will include......

last day of Co-Op and presentation (Boohoo!)
field day
Hopefully, we will not loose anyone before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment