Sunday, August 8, 2010

Get Ready.......Get Set..........Prepare!

I have felt like I have been in a race all week. I am getting closer to the finish line but not quite there yet. My family is preparing for a huge change.....me going back to work. Although it is a good thing, there are many things that will change in the Weed household. For 8 years, I have been the taxi, cook, maid, referee, stylist, secretary, teacher, banker, planner, organizer, counselor, etc. Even though many of these titles I will keep, it is time to recruit some help. We have had a trial run this week and I must say they have impressed me. I could not have made it through this week without them stepping up to the plate. Yes....we are still in the training process but hopefully not for long.

Here is how we are preparing........

Probably about a month ago I started to think of ways to help with the upcoming transition. My first thought was freezer meals. I am sure I am not going to feel like cooking once I get home in the afternoon. And lets face it......the hubs a certain someone is not going to shop and cook a meal each and every night. 

Side story:  When we first got married, he made up the rule whoever gets home first from work would cook dinner. Since I only lived 5 minutes from my work and got off by 3:15.........guess who arrived home first. Now that the rolls are reversed, he has become oblivious to the rule he created.  Go figure!

Here is what we did  split up into 2 days:

The kids helped with the potatoes


Laney and Griffin peeled them while......



Ella grated them to make hash browns later.


While shopping at the commissary for my cooking day, they had chicken breast on sale so I grabbed several knowing I could do something with them. I also got a whole chicken to cook in the crockpot. I needed broth to make condensed cream of chicken soup. Carmel begged was chosen to pull the chicken off the bone.


What's the verse in the bible.......ask and ye shall receive.

With all the chicken, here is what we made.

chicken salad for lunches next week
chicken casserole x 2
chicken pot pie x 2
Broccoli, cheese, chicken and rice casserole x 2


The rest of the chicken we had for supper one night.

Pictured: cheesy shells with marinara sauce


sausage pasta x 2
spaghetti sauce x 2
shrimp bisque
taco meat
meatballs x 2

Since catered lunches at school cost $3.50/day x3 kids, I am trying to find easy yet good things to put in their lunch. These are yummy and so easy to fix.

Cheesy Spinach Pinwheels

1 can crescent rolls ( I made my own using whole wheat)
Laughing Cow spreadable cheese
thin slices of deli ham/ turkey/ chicken (whichever you prefer)
spinach leaves


Separate dough into 4 rectangles. Spread the cheese, layer the spinach and then add the meat to the top.
Next, take one side of the rectangle and roll it. Seal the edges.


Now cut the roll into slices and place on a baking sheet.


Cook for 12-15 minutes on 375*


Once they cooled, I placed them on a baking sheet to flash freeze. After about 30 minutes, pull them out and place into freezer bags. These will be easy to pull out and put in there lunches. At lunchtime, all they have to do is warm them up in a microwave.

I also made a batch of homemade granola. I am planning on taking yogurt with fresh fruit and the granola. Very satisfying lunch for me. 

I am hoping to have another day of freezer cooking this weekend.
Check back tomorrow when you can see a sneak peak into my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Girl...I'd say you are more than prepared! Great job of stocking that freezer. I need to do that...LOL! I hope you have a WONDERFUL first day tomorrow. I hope the kiddos do as well. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking everyday of things I need to make and put in the freezer. I'm hoping this week I'll be motivated enough to follow through! It all looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete