Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Need tips on making strawberry jam?.......Don't read this post!

Last year, I made strawberry freezer jam and it was very easy. I even used my bread maker. This year, I decided I would try canning. This is my first attempt at canning anything! I had the Ball canning how to book right beside me the whole time. 

Unsure that I could do it all myself, I persuaded 2 young professionals to help.


I put one in charge of cutting the tops off the strawberries.



The other helper was in charge of smashing the strawberries.


I think she took her job seriously!

They eventually swapped.


Once they were finished cutting and smashing, this is what it looked like.


We prepared the strawberries according to the Ball Blue Book. 



I think we may have had a little too much juice or not enough pectin. It seemed to be runnier than normal.

Runny or not.........IT WAS DELICIOUS!

I can't wait until we pick blackberries, peaches and blueberries!

No comments:

Post a Comment