Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Boiled peanuts

I guess I should say crockpot peanuts.

I have been experimenting with a lot of pinterest recipes here lately. I thought I would share with you the good....the okay.....and the not so good recipes.

Today I will start with boiled peanuts only because I came to this picture first.


These were definitely a keeper!!!!!! They were easy, cheap and yummy! They usually do not last but a day or 2 at our house.

I bought 2 lbs of raw peanuts( at the commissary they are located in a barrel) for $2. I put them in the crockpot, add water until it covers the peanuts then add 1/2 cup of salt. I give it a quick stir and set the cooker on high. These will need to cook for 18hrs.

Here is the recipe from pinterest.

A couple of tips I learned:
* The recipe calls for 3/4 to 1 cup of salt. We found this to be way to much!! 

* If you have a crockpot with a digital timer, you will have to add another 6 hours at some point. Don't forget or it will shutoff after 12 hours leaving you with hard nuts. Yes.....I forgot one time.

* You may have to stir it once during the process to get the peanuts at the top to the bottom for better cooking.

If you like boiled peanuts especially during football season, then give these a try!


2 comments:

  1. I never knew you could make them in the crock pot. Heck, I've never made them PERIOD, but I do LOVE them. That's my favorite fair food. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely try them then! They were good! I saw Micah's first day of preschool pictures. He is getting so BIG!

    ReplyDelete