Thursday, August 11, 2011

It's that time of year again

No not Christmas!
Although Christmas break is sounding really good right now!

School has started so in order to prepare, I had a few baking days.I decided this year to do it by meals.....breakfast, lunch and dinner. First up was........breakfast.

Since muffins are so easy to make, freeze and reheat, I started with that. I made...

Banana Bread Muffins


Next came the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins


The next 2 types of muffins are news ones. I thought I would try these out since I have bags and bags of frozen fruit from the spring and summer. I will include recipes because I thought both were delicious!

Blueberry Streusel Muffins


Recipe

2 cp flour( I used whole white wheat)
1 1/2 ts baking powder
1/2 ts salt
1/2 c unsalted butter, soft
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2ts vanilla extract
1/2 milk
2c fresh frozen blueberries

In a small bowl mix baking powder, flour and salt. In a larger bowl beat butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and milk. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix. Add blueberries and put in muffin tins.

For streusel mix 1/2 c sugar, 1/3 flour, 1/4 butter, soft and 1 1/2 ts cinnamon. Put on top of muffin.
Bake 350 for 20 minutes


Blueberry/Strawberry Muffins with Streusel


Recipe

2 c whole white wheat flour
2/3 c sugar
2 ts baking powder
1/2 ts baking soda
1/2 ts salt
1/4 ts cinnamon
2 eggs
1 stick unsalted butter, melt
1 c buttermilk
1 T grated lemon zest
3/4 c blueberries
3/4 c strawberries

In a bowl whisk all the dry ingredients. In a large bowl beat eggs with butter. Add buttermilk, lemon and whisk. Add dry to wet and stir. Fold in fruit and scoop into a muffin pan. Bake 400 for 20 minutes.

Besides muffins, I also made some homemade baking mix for sausage balls.


 Sausage and Cheese Biscuits




For the  last 2 breakfast items I like to mix, roll or cut and freeze in ziploc bags. All I have to do is take as many as I need and bake.

Hopefully, we can make it last for the rest of August.

2 comments:

  1. I've got to get my freezer stocked back up with easy stuff, too. I'm going to try by preparing 1-2 freezer meal ideas each day. So, hopefully it won't be as daunting. If I get ONE day each day, then that's better than NONE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am usually worn out by the end of a cooking day but it is so worth it to just grab in the morning and run.

    ReplyDelete